Friday, August 12, 2011

Swimming Lessons (but not really)

This started out as a quick post about swimming lessons this summer. My thoughts took a different turn. Ha!




I am already crying (inside and out) about ALL my boys going to school. I know I will enjoy the 3 free hours a day. I know this. It doesn't make starting this new phase in our lives any easier. I keep trying to remember the phrase "Don't cry because it's over, SMILE because it happened" 5 years ago I wondered if this was my new life. (Up all night, 16 bottles a day, a bag of stinky diapers hanging just outside my garage door, binkies between the sofa cushions, spit up always on display on my shirt) I could go on. Those days were hard. Really hard. But they were also filled with many wonderful little moments. Little tiny glimpses of heaven really. Tiny toes, big baby grins, big brother trying to help, seeing my big, strong husband asleep with a baby in the fold of each of his arms, middle of the night feedings...when they have both finished eating, burped, and were back to sleep. We would place them both on the couch and swaddle them in. I'd stand back and look at my two babies in a row. I remember the overwhelming feeling of love, of feeling blessed.

And now, we are entering a different phase.
Just when I thought it might never end, it did.
It will be good.
This life is good.
I guess that's why it's hard to say goodbye.




PS...They had a great time swimming this summer. They all did really well. They have spent 90% of the summer in swimsuits (even on dry days). I think they all grew gills this summer.

3 comments:

The Letterman's said...

can't believe the summer has come and gone and we NEVER got together, man we are bad! Can't believe either that yours will all be in school! I've got #4 here in a couple weeks and 2 more years until #2 goes to kinder-wow how'd that happen??

Anonymous said...

Was there ever a sweeter, more tenderhearted mom? I know this feeling. I also know it is going to be okay. But even when I think of Anna leaving me all day to go to school I am a puddle on the floor. I get it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, that comment was from Carrie! Sorry--guess I'm signed in as my daughter.