Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A bench for my boys

Forgive me if I boast. I am just really excited about my new hobby. At least, I want to try and make it a bit of a hobby. I found this really cool website called knockoffwood.blogspot.com It's a girl who builds all this basic furniture, and then gives you the plans free of charge. She has some really cute stuff. A lot of easy stuff that anyone could build. I have been wanting to replace my kitchen chairs with a bench for the boys. I have 8 chairs in my small kitchen. Now I only have five, and ONE bench. It gave me more room in our kitchen, and the boys love it.

The boys helped me paint.


I let them write their names on the top so they would have a "secret message" always hidden on their bench. Mason wanted to keep his face a secret in this picture.


I promise I didn't ask them to put their arms around each other. I walked by and they were all sitting on their bench with their arms around each other. I had to run to get my camera.

And, finally, the bench complete. I had a lot of help from Randy...especially with the saw and the angles. He pretty much walked me through the whole thing. But he was a good teacher. I really want to make bunk beds next. I might be a dreamer...but who knows, with Randy around I think I can do it.
ps...this bench is a copy of one they sell at pottery barn for 250.00. I spent 17.00.
Check out her website if you have any desire to make something yourself. She has all kinds of furniture.


10 comments:

Trimble said...

Yea!!! Thanks for posting. We came by last weekend hoping it was outside for us to look at b/c we were all dirty but it wasn't so glad I get to see it this way. Love it, you did a fantastic job and of course you can do more! Can't wait to see the bunk beds. :)

The Letterman's said...

SWEET! so glad it worked out, I've admired her site for awhile now I too was ready to do bunkbeds for the girls but then we moved and now bunkbeds don't make sense! I love all her stuff, so cool! Maybe I'll take a swing at it now!

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing! You did a great job. I can't wait to check out that site.

SassyMonkey said...

cool! I will check it out. The bench looks great and looks so much easier for the boys to use. And $17.00! That's a steal!

snakeriverwalton said...

Can I just hire you to be me for awhile? I think you're so much cooler.

shauna/doug said...

What a cool bench! I love it. And so much better than all those chairs. And the three little rug rats all together. I love that even more. You are giving me ideas for when we get home.

Sandra said...

THAT is amazing girl!!!

YOU ROCK!

The Letterman's said...

ok so I have to make one we only have 3 chairs for our table and Sophie isn't sitting in the highchair anymore so it makes for intresting dining experiences when we all sit down for dinner didn't hit me until a day or so after your post that I NEED one of these, was it really that easy did ya just buy one piece of wood? J

megantonesforever said...

Way cute ade. Such a good idea. My next endeavor is painting our table legs and chair legs black. Then having a bench would make so much more room in our kitchen.
You smart woman you.

rosebud said...

You. are. my. hero. Seriously, just when I think you've conquered all the cute projects. You amaze me! How about making this?
http://www.somewhatsimple.com/2010/03/white-elephant-gift.html

;)