We tried geocahing for the first time. We looked
here for our info. We really think this could be a fun hobby for our family. If you have never heard of it...you basically enter coordinates into your GPS, find the location, then there is a hidden treasure with a log book that you find. You can take something from the "treasure", as long as you replace it with something. The boys really were excited about finding a treasure. We had 4 destinations, and found all of them, but couldn't find the treasure's at any of them. (Ok, we found 1, but it was a monument of Orrin Porter Rockwell...as you can imagine, the boys were thrilled with this one) We decided the caches we had searched out were too old (like 3-6 years) and they hadn't been maintained. Has anyone done this before? Any tips for us? We want to try again.


4 comments:
Sounds like letterboxing but with electronics. Chris and Violet introduced us to letterboxing, you don't get a treasure, but you find a hidden box that has a stamp in it. You leave your imprint on the book in the box and stamp your own book with the stamp you found. Pretty fun. That's all I know about, I haven't done geocaching.
i have always wanted to do this!
I wish we had started with the kids weren't in hundreds of sports.
Enjoy! It looks like fun!
We have done it a couple of times with cub scouts and up by the cabin- usually the treasure is a box of junk but the kids always love it. Next time you guys are up here there's a fun one at Murray park.
Christian and his brothers do this. Christian even took the young men & young women to do this one Wed. for their activity. He loves it. I haven't been on one of his adventures yet ... but maybe we should go as a family. I know there are thousands of geocache sights out there. I think some of them try to make the "treasure" hard to find -- so once you get to the coordinates you have to start searching under logs, etc. A real live treasure hunt! Pretty exciting.
Post a Comment