I feel we are all islands-in a common sea. -A. Lindbergh
For several years now, my Mom and my Aunt have been trying to get all of their daughters together for what they so proudly call...drum roll please...AML Second Generation. My mom and Aunt have been getting together, just the two of them, and going on extravagant vacation getaways like Ogden, St. George, or Lehi. They take a week off, and escape to these exotic locals, and hole up in their 2 star hotel rooms and never leave. They literally don't go anywhere. (except for that one year they left their rooms to run through a golf course at midnight, sans clothes. You heard me right...naked!) They stay in the room and knit, crotchet, loom, watch TV, cry, sleep, knit some more, eat, etc. That is all. And, they love it. In fact, I think they go twice a year. Anyway, they thought it would be really cool to start inviting their daughters, and daughter in-laws, along as well. So, for the past few years we (me, sisters, in-laws, cousins) have tried to come at least for a weekend. In the beginning, I had no idea who this Anne Lindbergh was. Thanks to a very lady-like teaparty around a ping pong table, (only the finest at these reatreats) our mothers educated us on the life and times of Anne. (You all probably know who she is, author, wife to that famous Mr. Lindberg guy, you know, he was the first to take flight or something.) Anyway, it's not about the Mr., it's about the Ms's. Which brings me to the point of this post. I just wanted to thank Mom and Aunt (name withheld for obvious "naked" reasons) for starting this tradition. I know it's hard to get us all there, disappointing to find out none of us bring "stitching", and shocking to sit around and listen to all our viewpoints. But, you do it anyway. Thank you. I love how a bunch of women can get together, (some of us only seeing each other once a year) hole up in a room together, and laugh, talk, share stuff, etc. I always feel better when I leave these things. I think girls need girls. (okay, that could be taken many ways...I hope it's taken the way I intended!) Anyway, I am rambling. Like the quote at top, I love how we can all be in different phases, places, beliefs, and yet all come together and support each other. I am just grateful for all of these girls, and our sweet moms who continue to teach us, feed us, and haven't yet insisted we run anywhere naked.
P.S. The book she wrote is called "Gift From the Sea". It was first published in like 1941 or something, it is a bit old fashioned, but amazing how it still pertains to us as women today. Good Read.
6 comments:
It makes me think of the song "Islands in the Stream" for some reason. Now that'll definitely be stuck in my head all day.
This is so cool that the women in your family get to do this. It's something I'm sure you'll tell your grandkids about.
wow! fun!! btw, your new header is like uber cool!
Did my previously deleted comment offend you? I was saying thank you and i was truly honored. I am new to this blog thing and don't know what is appropriate, I guess to post in comments.
Wishing you well.
I have always thought you mom's Anne Morrow Lindberg trips were a cool idea. We would always prepare ourselves at work for her long absence and then gear up for the "exciting" news of her vacation. She and your aunt are a hoot! I don't think we ever heard the naked golf course story though.
Post a Comment