Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Just Believe

So, the "Binkie Fairy" payed a visit to our zip code yesterday.

Yes, my boys still use these... And I wont apologize or make excuses either. I love binkies. They saved my life. They are the best baby accessory around. However, I was tired of searching for them at bedtime, occasionally placing them back into a crying babies mouth at 3 am, losing them, etc...they only use them for naps, and bedtime, but I was getting weary of this routine. So, after watching an episode of "Supernanny", I decided to try one of her techniques. (Yes, I watch this show, and I wont apologize for this either. I love this show. I love the smug feeling I get as I watch the poor worn out moms on the show who obviously have no idea how to parent. I need this kind of false reassurance that I am indeed parenting perfectly!) Anyway, here is how it went down.

STEP 1: Convince your boys to place all their binks in a plastic baggie. Then convince them that by placing them in the mailbox, the "Binkie Fairy" will pick them up and take them to little babies who really need them.
The twins seemed a bit confused, but were willing participants. I had to keep emphasizing that the binkies were "all gone" now.

We went back into the house. Turned on 'Little Einsteins' to distract the boys, and the binkie fairy and her assistant (aka Izaak) snuck back out to the mailbox for a little fun. I did have to explain to Izaak that the binkie fairy wasn't real. He wanted to know how big her wings were, if she left fairy dust behind when she flew away, etc...felt bad dashing this little boys imagination. But quickly reminded myself how blissful it would feel to not hunt for binkies anymore.


STEP 2: Run back into the house and jump up and down and clap hysterically. All this is done in an attempt to try and convince your babies how much better it would be to go check the mailbox again instead of watching the end of little einsteins. They are easily excitable, so they ran after Izaak to see what the fuss was about.



STEP 3: Get excited with them when they see this...

STEP 4: Silently pray this works, and that you didn't just secure yourself a sleepless night.

6 comments:

The Letterman's said...

love it, who says you don't make an effort to do "fun" stuff for the kids, who needs holidays?

snakeriverwalton said...

Finally saw your floor and carpet remodel. House looks great. We still need a trip to Jimmy Johns! #14 Bootlegger here we come. --Ryan

Ashley Baird said...

O'my heck Adrian, you are too funny and very wonderful mom. Those little boys are lucky to have you raising them. I know the feeling on the whole binkie bit. It is a love hate relationship. How was the scrapbooking trip anyway? I haven't heard anything from anyone. O'wait, I was removed from the email list for not coming wasn't I!!!!!

SassyMonkey said...

Hey adrian,
I felt like I was there, great picture taking. So did it work? Any more sleep logged at night? I did a post to our blog today go check it out.
Matt

rosebud said...

I LOVE IT! I had it a little easier... Karl's accidentally dropped in the toilet during his morning relief. He reminded me it was in the toilet for weeks, but we were all off the hook! (O:

rosebud said...

Oh, yes, I love Super Nanny, too and Dr. Laura!