
I have posted this quote before but I need to staple it to my forehead. We are 2 weeks into summer and It's not going quite like I would like it too. I love the more relaxed feel and "no schedule" feeling. But I'm still too distracted by the house to clean, projects to finish, etc. I only have about 8 weeks before all my kids are in school. It depresses me really. So why then is it so hard for me to completely LISTEN to the long explanations about the Lego death fighters capturing the jedi knights? I find myself nodding and smiling a lot...but not even knowing what I am nodding and smiling about. Why do I wait to play in the sandbox with my boys until the laundry is done, or I finish all my errands, etc..Anyway, as much as I love this quote, how do I really incorporate it into my life?
3 things that come to mind that I want to start right now...- I need to start really listening to what they are saying.
- Standing still longer and just watching.
- Talking to each one of them ALONE every night for 5 minutes (or longer), asking them how their day was, etc..(I think I will do this right before bedtime each night)

When I first saw this picture I thought..."what is this picture about? Why did I take this one?" Then I remembered. They were having a movie night in their bedroom. I thought it was cute how they had lined up all their stuffed animals and given them blankets, & made sure they were facing the computer screen. They love it when they have movie night and I love the break in routine. I usually pop them some corn and all 3 of them watch something we've picked off Netflix.
I want to really soak it all up this summer. Anyone have any great ideas/tips for living in the moment?
2 comments:
All mothers are guilty of this. It's so hard not to just want it to be bed time already! What helps me is when they're telling me something look right into their eyes, I promise it works every time. It's like you can see their sweet little soul that they are. It's crazy how much we don't look in their eyes!
I have really been practicing this and I still have to gently remind myself everytime I start thinking about something else while I am playing. I try to enjoy each moment that we are having fun, because I never know when the mood will change. And even when the mood goes sour, I have been practicing being in the moment and fully experiencing what is going on. You once told me that Evan is not going to remember all the good meals I make, that he will remember the fun times we spent together. I realized that I can't do and get done everything that other moms do and the most important thing is my relationship and playing with Evan. Hope that helps a little.
Post a Comment