Monday, March 8, 2010

Ice Packs & Ice Cream

Took these two with me to IKEA to pick up a bookcase. I was brave, and put them in the playland area. They give you an hour and a beeper. The beeper will go off if there is a problem and they need you back at the playland. The longer I parent, the less uptight I get about leaving them. I still get a touch nervous, but not enough to stop me. Anyway, they were thrilled to go play, and I was thrilled to wander through IKEA kid free. My beeper did go off though after only about 30 minutes. I panicked for 2 seconds, then calmed down enough to realize one of them probably just needed his hiney wiped or something. But then I started to panic again after 5 minutes of trying to find my way back to the playland and winding up right back where I was when they first paged me. I was LOST! I felt like a rat in a maze looking for the cheese. As I twisted and turned my way through the maze I just kept getting more disoriented....and sweaty. I was breaking out in a cold sweat thinking my boys needed me and I couldn't get to them. I had time to wonder if maybe an ambulance would be waiting outside the store, which one needed stiches? (I could go on, but I wont) It was confusing, nerve racking, hilarious...and sweaty. I finally found it, but it took me at least 10 minutes. Turns out Mason had fallen and bumped his head and had a nasty goose egg. That was it. Just a goose egg. Big deal. This was his 3rd in 2 days. So, I take the ice pack, and fill out the incident report, give lots of hugs and kisses, and promise not to sue.
(Boy, if I could sue for every bump these boys get on their huge noggins, Randy could quit his job and we could start traveling!)
Anyway, they offered to keep the boys another hour...I was tempted for only a second. In that second I remembered I'd have to find this place once again. So, I turned them down and took my boys, and my bookcase, and found some ice cream cones on the way out.
It was fun just sitting with these two watching them eat their cones. They keep me on my toes. Sweet boys.

3 comments:

Trimble said...

Oh my, I can only imagine what you were feeling. Eeek! So glad they were all right and so were you. :)

SassyMonkey said...

I felt that way at Ikea too! and I didn't have to find the playland. Glad there wasn't an ambulance waiting and that you all recovered with some creemees. YUM!

shauna/doug said...

IKEA is a maze! I always pick up a map as I go up the escalator. It not only shows where everything is but also the shortcuts on how to get out in a hurry. Looks like it all ended well though.